Monday, December 17, 2007

Audiobooks, Thing #22, or we're getting closer.....

I have dial-up at home. I'm changing over to a faster internet connection, but in the meantime, downloading an audiobook from dialup takes FOREVER (over an hour), and I'm not sure if the customers who listen to audiobooks are going to want to wait that long for an audiobook. Also, I downloaded "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Tertiary Edition," which was actually an audiobook of "Life, the Universe, and Everything." I would have been annoyed if I'd been really interested in listening to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," so maybe somebody needs to go through the catalog to ensure that the digital media is cataloged properly.

Also, while I was downloading the audiobook, there was a box in the bottom right corner of the screen telling me that I could purchase the item from Napster. I think we should be careful about mentioning for-profit services on our webpage. We are still a non-profit organization; if we don't allow people to offer services for a charge at programs at the library, I think it's equally important not to offer fee-based services on our webpages as well.

No comments: