Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's Really Too Much!!! (Thing #8, part 2)

I signed up for a bloglines account. I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of information that is out there. If part of my job is to help people navigate the Internet and not drown in information overload, my advice might be just not to subscribe to news feeds. When I was in library school my teachers were talking about how the Internet was "pull" technology, as opposed to the television which was "push" technology. When a person looks on the the Internet they have to actively go looking for what they want and even then, what they seek might be elusive. The bloglines account gives me the impression that the creators of bloglines are using the television "channel" metaphor as their model, though they may have just borrowed it from AOL which was using that metaphor back in 1996.

So to sum up, I don't think RSS really makes my life that much more simple.

No comments: