Thursday, October 11, 2007

Flickr issues or Thing #5

I wasn't sure what to make of Flickr. I'm still not. First of all, it needs a much faster connection than I have at home, where I'm relying on a dialup connection, to be really useful. I think it's nice that I can take pictures and put them up on a website so my family and friends can see them, but it's also a little disconcerting. It's too easy to forget that the Internet is in no way a gated community; anyone can see what everyone's posting. Forgive me if it sounds a little paranoid, but I don't want to put my name on anything I just put up without controlling who can look at it.

I know Flickr tries to control for this, because they do give people an option of restricting who has access to what's posted, but it still makes me feel a little uneasy.

I did however put pictures from my grandfather's birthday party up and invited my relatives to go look at them. We live all over the country and never really get a chance to see all the pictures we've taken of one another.

No comments: