Thursday, January 18, 2018

#52 Essay Trying Again...Falling Behind Again #1 2018

There is nothing like breaking a finger to put you in a bad mood.

On Labor Day I broke the pinky on my left hand, the second finger I'd broken in two years, and the seven bone I'd broken in my life. I'd broken it at the gym, where I'd broken the my right ring finger the year before. In 2016 I'd lost my grip on a kettle bell and tried to catch the weight before it fell. This resulted in a crack in my right ring finger, and I spent *all* day, OK about 8 hours, wondering if I'd really hurt it before I came to the conclusion that if I'd just bruised it or hurt it a little, it would feel better by now. Realizing that I'd really hurt myself 8 hours ago meant that I was in a New York City Hospital's Emergency Room at a quarter till 9 on Friday, May 13th.

This is an example of Bad Timing, or Poor Judgement, I'm still leaning toward Bad Timing.

Therefore, THIS time when I hurt myself, I decided in less than an hour that I was probably injured, went to one of those new "City MD" offices, where you go because you can't get to your doctor and going to the hospital feels like overkill. When I told the doctor that, she agreed, "If you think you're having a heart attack, go to the Emergency Room. If you know you're injured, come here." It took almost 4 hours to get me out of the Emergency Room in 2016, and all they'd done was tape my fingers together and give me a referral to an orthopedist. The City MD office got me in and out in under an hour, and with a similar diagnosis. They would refer to me to an orthopedist the next day.

Not being able to type makes writing essays difficult, particularly since I've been typing all my serious work for almost 30 years. Yes, I write in my journal when I'm traveling, but that's different.

So it's a new year and I'm trying this challenge again.

I'm also going to lose 8 pounds (I put several on because I couldn't exercise properly when injured) and write my Congresspeople more frequently. I will be more creative, healthier, and a more active participant in what we call democracy.

I'm not sure if this is an essay, or an introduction to something else, but this is Essay #1 for 2018.

No comments: